Have you seen our First Edition Designer Series Paper (DSP) yet? It looks like old newspaper and there are some really cool things you can do with it. Today, I'm going to show you a fun technique that uses instant coffee and the Beautiful Wings Embosslit Die.
Begin by taking a sheet of First Edition DSP that has the butterflies on it and trimming 1/8" off of the right edge. Now cut a 3-3/4" wide strip from the right side. This is the piece we'll be working with. Now trim off the top just above the word Flight. Finally, trim off the bottom to make it 5" tall. You should have a piece that is 3-3/4" wide X 5" tall with a picture of a butterfly on it. Find a plastic (or glass) container with a flat bottom that is large enough to hold the paper. Use a mister and spray plain water into your container so that the bottom is almost covered with beads of water. Now place your DSP into the container, butterfly side up, and smooth it to absorb the water and make it lie flat. Taking a small amount of instant coffee crystals, sprinkle them over your DSP in a random pattern. You don't need much and don't cover the paper, leave lot's of "white space." Now spray only enough water over the coffee to get it wet. You don't need much. Set this aside on a flat surface to dry overnight. In the words of my favorite Food Network star Alton Brown: "Your patience will be rewarded."
Here is a picture of how it looks wet. The next day, the paper will be dry and look like the 2nd photo. (Click photos to enlarge) It will probably be a little warped. What I did was to quickly iron it to make it flat. Let's make a card!
1) Using the 1-3/8" Square Punch, punch out the butterfly image.
2) Mat this onto a 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" piece of Regal Rose, then onto a 1-5/8" X 1-5/8" piece of Pear Pizazz. Set aside.
3) Mount the large stained DSP onto a 3-7/8" X 5-1/8" piece of Regal Rose and mount that onto a 4" X 5-1/4" piece of Pear Pizazz.
4) Mount the matted butterfly image over the punched out square on the large stained DSP.
5) Run a line of SNAIL adhesive across the front of the card and cover with a 5-1/2" length of Crochet Trim. Adhere the ends onto the back side.
6) Mount this layer onto an Early Espresso card base.
7) Add your die cut butterfly and the card is complete!
The First Edition Specialty Designer Series Paper contains 6 different patterns and you get 4 copies of each for a total of 24 sheets of DSP! You can make 3 of these butterfly cards out of each sheet and still have scraps leftover for other projects. Talk about value!
Designer Tips: When working with Embosslits Dies always run them through the Big Shot so that the hinge is perpendicular to the handle on the top of the machine. If the hinge is parallel, you risk breaking it.
Stampin' Up! Supplies:
- Card Stock: 119686 Early Espresso, 119795 Pear Pizazz, 105130 Regal Rose
- Accessories: 121878 First Edition Specialty DSP, 118481 Victoria 5/8" Crochet Trim, 104332 SNAIL adhesive
- Big Shot accessories: 113439 Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine, 118138 Beautiful Wings Embosslit Die
Click the "Shop Now" tote to order any stamping supplies you need!